Pyrotechnics ... Was Ivory Keytops

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:06:44 -0500

>But too much hotness and celluloid goes on fire for sure (that is an
>element of Nobel power or dynamite if I recall correctly).

Dynamite was originally a mixture of nitroglycerine and diatomaceous earth.
I have no idea if it still is, but it had no celluloid. Celluloid came from
gun cotton, made by treating cotton with nitric and sulfuric acid (making
cellulose nitrate). Gun cotton gave us celluloid for billiard balls, combs,
cheap keytops, corset stays, and various explosive mixtures for firearms
and mining, etc. Dynamite gave us flying stumps, the Panama Canal, and more
colorful 1960's westerns.

Ron N