Metric Center Pin Sizes

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:13:12 +0200

Hi Ron,

You use a "pinning plank", or a support, that is a tight thin vertical
wooden planck, with a small saw line at the top, and that is firmly
hold on your bench (the "deluxe model" include a small brass or
aluminum square to reinforce the saw line place).

Then with flat pliers you get the (very) thin end of the long rod
passing thru the flange and Birdseye, and you pull the whole thing
straight all along, burnishing the bushing at this moment. Then you
cut the center (on the 2 sides of the flange).

The main advantage of the method is the consistency obtained , and
speed (another one is the price of the parts which is far less than
cut center). The hotness generated is good for the cloth. One have to
clean the center pin with some alcohol from time to time.

I use not the center pin as a reamer, only as a burnisher, as if you
make a reamer with a rod with if you go one side up, a little bit too
much for me, I prefer separate reamers, but without handles, so to
work the fiber in one and same direction as the initial pin insertion
(that is easily noticed looking at the end of the old center pin.

Using that one direction method and burnisher is said to reorient the
fiber for a better consistency.

I've seen colleagues using the long center pin with a small segment
treated as a reamer, but I don't like the idea to ream the wood indeed
so I use it as a separate tool.

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG