Ibach Capstan

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:31:04 -0400

I saw an interesting capstan arrangement on a 1905 Ibach concert grand =
the other day. I wish I had my digital camera with me......

The key has a stick protruding from the top at the capstan location that =
is connected to the key with an action center (pin, bushings, etc). The =
stick is just a half-inch or so long. A capstan with threaded rod =
protruding from both the bottom and top are screwed into the stick on =
the bottom and the wippen heel on the top. If you turn the capstan =
clockwise, it screws into both the wippen heel and the stick, thus =
bringing the heel closer to the key - turn it counterclockwise and the =
opposite happens.=20

Looks like a really neat system where you would get no friction loss at =
the capstan/wippen heel interface. I wonder how much fun it is to remove =
the stack?

Anyone see this configuration before? Comments?

Terry Farrell