Ibach Concert Grand Value

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:24:18 -0400

Dear Esteemed Pianotech Colleagues,

I have a client of several years that is considering selling their 1905 =
Ibach 9' (or so) concert grand piano (#51897). I am seeking input of =
opinions of an appropriate selling price. The piano is mostly original, =
but had a spat of work done to it about 20 or 30 years ago consisting of =
restringing, new hammers, new damper felt and a few small shims in the =
soundboard. It clearly appears that the piano has had an easy life - =
very little wear on the excellent ivory keyboard and the action looks to =
have light to moderate wear at most. Touch is ok. Sound is good - bass =
is fairly robust, high treble has false beats but no obvious killer =
octave, transition is good. The finish is gloss ebony and is in very =
good (almost excellent) condition (my guess is that it was also =
refinished 30 years ago - and a very good lacquer job done).=20

This is an old piano with light wear for its age - clearly not in =
high-performance condition. But, on the other hand, it is nicer than 98 =
or 99% of the other 100 year old piano one might run across.

What do you think it might be worth in a private sale? The piano is in =
Tampa, Florida. I find local prices on most consumer goods to be in line =
with most of mid-west American prices, i.e. Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, =
Wichita, Atlanta, etc.

Thanks much for any input/opinions.

Terry Farrell