Sneaky Steinway

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 00:50:52 -0700

Stephane Collin wrote;

"Looks the same as my Hamburg model A from 1891.  Third bridge straight =
with two wound bichords and 7 wound trichords.  In my piano, the notes =
on that third bridge are a bit louder than the rest, and tend to sound a =
bit harsh.  Did you notice that on this one ?  I have been thinking that =
the two bichords on that bridge are meant to favor damping, as the two =
dampers on those notes are shorter, and bichords damp easier than =
trichords."

Hello Stephane, that sounds just right. The bichord dampers on this one =
are recessed to make way for the plate strut crossover and are shorter =
than the others.=20

Another curiosity is that the pedal lyre attaches to the piano by means =
of a single cleat, but there seems to be no mechanism to lock it in =
place to  prevent the assembly from sliding back out.

Regards=20
Alan Forsyth