Sneaky Steinway

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:19:39 -0600

Hi Alan,
You remind me of a piano that I had the misfortune of tuning. Upright =
grand was in the name or a sticker somewhere inside. The strings were a =
full foot short of where one would expect them to be.
The plate would have fit in a studio piano <(:((
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Forsyth=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 6:57 PM
  Subject: Re: Sneaky Steinway

  Hello Robin H and Ron O,

  Thanks for all that juicy information you supplied. Seems that this =
Steinway has turned out to be sneaky in more ways than one.

  The piano is in fact round tailed and measures 6' from outer rim to =
edge of keyboard, slightly longer if measured with the top down.

  I must say that I was impressed with the sound and the extreme power =
of this instrument when I played it, even though it was over a century =
old and with the original soundboard albeit with zero downbearing and a =
compression crack.

  One keeps reading about the back-scale. What ratio of back-scale to =
speaking length makes for a good back-scale design?

  Regards
  Alan Forsyth

  ----- Original Message -----=20