Baldwin butt spring string

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@utm.edu
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:42:00 -0500

I'm working on an old Baldwin Upright, built around 1915.  It uses a =
brass rail with a loop of string going through a hole in the rail then =
over the top of the rail so the loop can catch on the butt spring.  The =
knot secures the string in the hole in the rail.  I need to make a loop =
about 5/8" long.  I have some Yamaha butt spring cord to use on the =
loops.  Any ideas on the best way to make the loop?  Would a particular =
knot be easier than another?  Any ideas on an easier method than tying a =
knot in the loop?  Also, any ideas on other string material besides the =
Yamaha string?

Thanks for your help.

Joy!
Elwood