1999 Steinway B hammer felt fraying?

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:16:25 -0700

Some of their felt at that time was pretty bad and had a tendency to tear
when filed.  It was part of a period that I stopped using Steinway felt
altogether for that reason.  But before I did I began to prelacquer the
hammers in order to make them easier to file.  Sometimes filing down from
the strikepoint rather than toward the strikepoint can also create a very
rough surface.  Most Steinway hammers seem to have a grain and prefer to be
filed in one direction over the other.  It's generally better to file
toward the strike point, though, as filing away will create a balling up or
tearing through the layers.   If you want to clean it up you might try a
light filing with 80 grit strips lightly toward the strikepoint then take a
hammer iron and smooth them out.  I presume this is mostly the shoulders of
the hammer.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net