OT Re: Tuning "It"

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:00:44 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Goodale" <rrg@unlv.nevada.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 11:12 AM
Subject: Tuning "It"

This morning I went to one of the most bizarre tuning appointments of my
career.  A man called me and said his name was "Endora".  Naturally I
assumed this to be a last name.  The initial unique thing about this was
that the piano was an early Collard & Collard grand.  He claimed it was
built in 1812  I was very reluctant based on his description on the phone as
I really wasn't in the mood to tune a basket case piano.

I arrived at the apartment complex where he lived on Paradise road which is
just behind the Las Vegas Strip.  There are a lot of apartments, condos, and
time-shares in that area.  When he answered the door I almost fell over.
Not because of the piano but because of him... or should I say "it"!  He,
(it), was completely dressed in drag.  A floral print dress, dyed blond
hair, necklace, painted finger and toe nails, lipstick, heals, the works!
(No, "it" wasn't pretty).  I was speechless for about 15 seconds but finally
managed to introduce myself.  In a rough male voice "It" led me to the
piano.  The place was an absolute mess.  Ironically the piano was in
remarkably good condition.   I would guess it was much later, perhaps around
1860-1870. The piano had obviously been restrung perhaps 75-100 years
earlier.  It was still mostly functional.  There was a good share of
problems which I won't go into but nevertheless it was tunable.  I tuned it
(the other "it"), 80 cents flat as a precaution and it came out reasonable
given the situation.  I started writing out the bill but still wasn't
certain of the name.  Turns out "It" was Pandora, not Endora.  The last name
was Hart, I'm betting a legal last name change!  Cute huh?   I did get a
$20.00 tip out of it.  I'm glad that was all I got!    "It" kept standing
behind me and I was expecting some perverted butt pinch at any moment while
I postured myself for a quick rap over "It's" ugly face with the tuning
hammer.  Very happy that didn't become necessary!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

Ahh, lighten up, open your mind, live and let live; it takes all kinds to
make the world go 'round.  And most don't give $20 tips above the fee
charged.  I would think in 'Vegas you'd expect a few "show types" in your
clientele now and then.  Why would a pinch have been "perverted"?  And why
would that have necessitated a violent response with a tool used as a
weapon?  We can't settle things verbally?  We have to go to violence?  And
it's "heels," not "heals."  --David Nereson, RPT