Moving Knuckle position with the Kaplan Jig

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:09:24 +0200

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/12/2004 2:58:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
>
>       The real point is about moving knuckles not capstans & I still
>     maintain it's easier to make this modification than moving
>     capstans. Besides in the case I'm dealing with that is what's
>     required. Never the less levearage is leverage it doesn't matter
>     if you get from moving the knuckle or the capstan. If it wasn't so
>     why make the suggestion to move the capstan. No offense Ric, but
>     this answer seems a bit contrary IMO.
>
>    Dale

Well Dale... if moving the knuckles is "appropriate" to this job, then
by your own admission leverage is not just leverage after all.  The sum
leverage created by the three levers can easily enough be over all the
same in one perspective, while being different in another... and the
resulting feel to the action, or dynamics of the touchweight will
vary... so I have to stay with... leverage is not (just) leverage, and
that it does matter where you decide to make a change... if you first
feel the need.

No offense taken Dale... but it seems like you missed the point :)  IMHO

Cheers
RicB