best way to get plastic keytops off?

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:23:25 -0500

Dave.

Steam is the answer..there was/is a light weight plastic suit iron =
called 'steam away'. It had a large hole that can be plugged with a wine =
cork etc,hole drilled through center,small curved bendable copper tube =
inserted.The iron will have to be vertical. You may have to remove the =
key. Light weight, cheap at a yard sale and has worked for me in the =
field. Shop work a 'real steam' iron works. It is to late now for a =
quick fix but next time you are out yardsaling pick one up. 2 dollars or =
so for one in my area.

Hubert Liverman
Tuner/Tech
Opelika, AL
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 8:58 AM
  Subject: best way to get plastic keytops off?

  HI list,=20

  This question was asked a few days ago, but the thread ended up being =
about gluing tops on.=20

  The piano is a SAmick made Kohler and Campbell.  It is maybe 15 years =
old.  One keytop got broken in a recent move.=20

  So what sayeth you all?  Steam/Iron?  Heat Gun?  Other methods?  =20

  This is an in-home job(long drive, store warranty work), so using =
large power tools is not an option.=20

  Thanks.  Sorry if I missed something on the last thread!=20

  Dave Stahl