Hammer Strike Line-Grand

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:49:32 -0500

>>Regarding glue and crack related problems in the bridge and soundboard.  I
have looked very carefully and do not see any indication
oc a bad joint or seam.

The thin CA glue will "find" bad joints when everything looks good. I've
seen it run into places that looked very good and tight to the naked eye.

When adjusting the strike point, moving action in and out, you can move the
strike point further in after it is pushed all the way in against the stops.
Stick a flat screw driver under the front rail of the key frame and pry up
while striking the note. Raising this front rail will move the strike point
further in. It is a quick and easy test to see if you need to go further in.
I've actually had to grind wood from the belly rail to get more clearance
for the hammers before. If the piano has had the plate out some time before
and it didn't get put back in the right spot, it can cause that kind of
problem.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272