** SPAM ** Re: Drying pianos prior to CAing block. ( How dry I am ??????? )

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:29:19 -0500

>>>I just finished an old clunker upright where oversize pins had already
been
used. It took 8 ounces of glue.

8 ounces is a huge amount of glue. When you say it "took" 8 ounces, do you
mean that is what it took to tighten the pins, or just that the piano took
that much without complaining? I've done lots of these, and 2 ounces is
usually plenty. Occasionally some problem areas needed gone back over 2-3
times, but that usually amounts to 20-30 pins max. I can go over the whole
piano, hit the bass and tenor section a second time, and still be under 2
ounces. Once or twice I've had to pull a pin, squirt glue into the hole and
reinsert. Worked marvelously.

Generally, most of the tuning pins don't need a lot, just some. When you use
8 ounces you are giving most of the pins way more than they need.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802