lacquering hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:57:32 EDT

=20
In a message dated 8/14/2004 11:45:21 AM Pacific Standard  Time,=20
antares@euronet.nl writes:
=20
  Ilex Andre & Isaac
  I agree with you Andre & would say that selling the  client on the tried &=
=20
true idea of playing this piano in. You can give him  this post as well as t=
he=20
others as proof that you've been soliciting other  knowledgeable opinions,=20
well at least Isaac's & Andre's, & that the  consensus is be patient & play=20=
it.=20
I like your approach of filing, ironing,  fitting & power regulating as Isaa=
c=20
stated etc. Always good first steps  before lacquer.=20
 However if all that won't do it and the hammers really  are a bit soft then=
=20
I'd still encourage play in but perhaps some really dilute  gloss nitro=20
cellulose lacquer & acetone mixed thinly 8 or ten parts  acetone to one part=
=20
lacquer. I'd experiment with a 4 to 6 drops on the  crown of the soggiest so=
unding=20
hammer. I view this as sort of a break in  fluid & allows the hammer to pack=
 in=20
sooner with playing. & if it sounds  really inappropriate then you can wash=20=
it=20
down into the hammer with straight  acetone & get it away from the crown &=20
return to where you were. You may  try just try straight acetone. Sometimes=20=
this=20
alone brightens thing up a bit  without adding any hardening agents at all.
Make sense?
   Regards Dale

If you  lacquer those Kawai hammers, you ruin them for ever. Those are=20
not  American made hammers but come from Hamamatsu Japan.
It is the same with  Yamaha hammers.

If that customer wants a brighter sound, you achieve  this with=20
anti-friction treatment to start with, followed by a power  regulation.
Anti-friction takes care of 'stiff joints' and causes a much  more=20
dynamic, a power regulation is the finale.
If you do this right,  you will have done a good job without=20
unnecessarily damaging  hammers.

The hammer are the crown jewels of the instrument.
You know  what I'm saying?

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9  Oorebeek