An interesting? piano article

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:28:18 -0400

I've seen, and been troubled by, this article
before. It's quite a mixed bag, with some good
points, as well as quite a few howlers and a
rather naive attitude to both piano design and
the capabilities of modern engineering methods.
The author gets the point that design stagnation
needs addressing. The basic premise is sound up
to a point:

>New materials and new analytical tools available
>to designers to improve piano quality remain
>largely unused.

He misses the main point, though, with his
judgemental use of the word "improve".

Stagnation and conservatism again:

>May the day soon come when British audiences
>more vociferously demand greater variety and
>better piano sound from the far too
>conservative, entrenched and introspective
>'clan' of venue managers, and artists' agents

Definitely worth saying. But, instead, a less
provocative appeal for more variety in concert
grand piano concepts would be far better.

The author's view of the historical development
of piano design is jejune, for example:

>The massive nine foot six inch Bösendorfer
>Imperial dates from the early years of the last
>century and has its origins in pianos designed
>to withstand the stresses of being played by
>Liszt

This, of course, is nonsense.

On his technical analysis I would take issue with
quite a few of the views expressed.
Notwithstanding the shortness of the article, it
*is intended as a engineering analysis and I find
it pretty shallow. Quite a few threads could be
started here (or continued, even some of our
record-holding threads) around piano attributes
and design features that the author inarguably
considers to be "improvements". After getting
right the need for variety he shoots himself in
the foot by overtly pushing some specific ideas
while denigrating other more traditional ones.

One thing that particularly bothered me about
this article is the flavour of holier-than-thou
which seems to permeate the prose. I couldn't get
away from an impression of  "engineer knows best"
and "the stupid piano manufacturers should pay
attention".  Many of the so-called engineering
"facts" are arguable, or still open questions. To
mention one that rankles, the physicist/engineer
vs artist view of hammer/string interaction:

>There are only three variables that the
>pianist's hands can influence to change piano
>sound. These are:-
>	*	 the velocity at which the hammer
>strikes the string - the loudness:
>	*	the time when the hammer strikes the string: and
>	*	 the duration of sound,
>determined by when he releases the key allowing
>the damper to fall and stop the string vibrating.

In other words, the author states one side of the
famous three-variable question that has raged
periodically from time to time for well over a
century, as if it was proven fact. Now I wouldn't
presume to answer one way or the other, at least
not yet, but there are enough genuine physical
factors involved with the dynamics of a
mechanical piano action and the interaction
between it and the string, that the answer is
definitely unclear from simple physical
reasoning. To state otherwise is just misleading,
or indicates a lack of awareness of the
sophistication of action dynamics. It isn't clear
which of these applies to the author.

He goes on....

>Once the escapement mechanism has operated, the
>hammer is in free flight, after which nothing
>the artist can then do with his hands has the
>slightest influence on the resulting sound

...which obviously overlooks the critically
important contributions of action "impacts" to
the overall sound of the piano, not to mention
the potential for "after-escapement" behaviour by
the pianist to influence factors that can affect
the sound-scape, or as part of the overall
mechanical interaction between the pianist and
the instrument (think golf or tennis). The
pianist is a lot more than just a finger on the
key.

The author seems not able to think outside the
box, both in his engineering analyses, and
reflected in the contradiction between his call
for applying modern engineering and materials but
limited suggestions that really amount only to
tinkering with the existing design. There's also
scant consideration given to practical
manufacturing and the economics of production,
which, in my view, are the *most significant
factors that apply to the modern concert piano,
and where the greatest potential for
"improvement" can be achieved, in tandem with a
new design  that goes well outside the old box.

Despite his "call to arms" to "fix" or "optimize"
the moden concert grand, he says things like:
>It is difficult to see how mechanical actions may be significantly improved.

Go figure.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett