lacquering hammers

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:32:21 EDT

Ilex,

I certainly wouldn't put myself in the same league as Andre, Isaac, or Dale,
but I do feel I have something to contribute here.

>From personal experience with many, many Kawais, I will say that yes, they
all tend to sound very soft at the beginning.  And I have seen ten year old
Kawais(GE1s and 2s, similar quality to the GE20, older models) that started out
that way as well, but have become really strident sounding over time.  I have
had many requests to voice them waaaay down.  The hammers end up compacting
substantially--especially the one in the Russian piano teacher's music school that
gets played 4 hours a day by her advanced students.

I guarantee you, if the  piano gets played a reasonable amount, the hammers
will harden to the point that you'll need to needle them on a fairly regular
basis.

I would avoid putting any hardener on them.  Time is the best hardener of all.

Dave Stahl