punching, it hits you

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:10:58 +0200

On 15-aug-04, at 22:27, Richard Brekne wrote:

> I asked the famous Japanese pianotechs Mr.  Ono and Mr. Takahara
> about this too whilst I was in Japan this summer, and they both
> immediatly responded along the lines... "but of course-- didnt you
> know that ???"... tho to this day I have yet to find a satisfactory
> explaination for why the height of the backcheck can influence the
> openess of the tone of the piano.

And indeed, that's the funny thing, nobody has of yet been able to give
a satisfactory explanation about this issue.
I myself learned this from Tsuji-san, a tuning celebrity who is retired
now.
He demonstrated this during the concert course and I could not believe
my ears.
It is one of the magic tools we carry with us in our heads.

Thanks, Ricardo, my friend, for reminding me.

P.S.
Takehara-san was called 'the magician' because he was able to make an
action lighter by just a few turns of his tools.
Ono-san (the teacher) was the gentleman and he spoke English the best
of all because he had served in England for about 6 years.
Tsuji-san was the one who loved to talk about Italy and he shared an
espresso with me every morning, jsu to get the feel of Italy...mann oh

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Amsterdam -