punching, it hits you

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:17:03 +0200

Joe And Penny Goss wrote:

>Hi Richard,
>Are Ono and Takahara in Tokyo?

Mr Ono is working in Hamamatsu for Yamaha in the CF III design
department. He still does a lot of concert grand voicing for them, but
he does not teach anymore.  He's pretty close to pension age, but you
know old piano techs... hard to put it away I guess.  Mr Takahara is
working for Steinway Japan now, and is very much into plate issues.  I
had a real interesting talk with him while I was there.  He has a home
in Hamamatsu, but I think he spends quite a lot of time in Tokyo... not
quite sure of that.  He quit Yamaha about 5 years ago I gathered, citing
that he felt he'd done and accomplished all he could for Yamaha (and
himself) and felt the need to move on to something new.

I actually got to meet Takahara because of a misunderstanding about a
mutual acquaintance that resulted in Mr Takahara coming to the dormitory
to meet me.  Big honor and much face gained and all that stuff....
especially because I had told a couple of the boys in the concert grand
class he was coming and they got to come and sit and talk to the <<man>>
himself.  The Japanese take that kind of stuff very seriously.  As for
me... well I am just socially aware enough to notice all this going on a
few nanos after I could have consciously done anything about (with) the
situation.  Probably just as well :)  In any case.. we all had a great
time sitting and chatting for about an hour.  All because of an email
address.... :)

Cheers
RicB