punching, it hits you - backchek height

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:23:12 +0200

Isaac OLEG wrote:

>Hi Richard,
>
>Without a very logic explanation myself at this moment, the backchecks
>height change the synchronism hammer check/key bottom. All this act at
>the same moment the tone begin to be produced, so it seem "normal"
>that an influence exist.

Granted any such change is going to have an influence... but I still
find it odd that the change in the sounding of the piano was so
pronounced, and carried so far into the strings sustain.  I've heard
some rather mystical sounding explainations... like there is more air
space between the string and hammer.... but thats a bit difficult to
swallow. Couldnt be a psychological affect... because all were able to
pick out the changed notes without difficulty.

Its a stickler for sure... but it definantly makes a change in sound.

Cheers
RicB