punching, it hits you - backchek height

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:41:09 +0200

Hello all.

My understanding for backcheck influence on sound is so :
when the hammer comes back into check, the quality of the shock is very
different if checking is high than if it is low : on high checking the
hammer tail comes closer to vertically hit the top of the backcheck, making
a kind of "hard landing" (to use André's words; say, André, do you keep the
terms hard landing for after touch regulation, or do you use them in this
meaning also ?) that is close in time to the hammer-sting contact.  When
checking is very low, the checking occurs of course later, and with a more
close to horizontal movement pushing smoothly on the backcheck wire, and
making a "soft landing".  This shock is transmitted to the case by means of
the key.  So, exacly like the different quality of shock caused by key
stroke on harder or softer front punchings, harder or softer landing of the
hammer into check will influence both sound and touch, by mixing it's own
energy back into the soundboard, and bridge, and back into the strings
again.

One thing is clear to me, the touch feel percieved at the finger has an
analogous effect on simultaneously percieved sound.  So, even a slight
"objective" difference in sound can lead to a huge "subjective" perception
of that difference in sound, by the player at least.

If this all is acceptable, though, there is one thing that I don't
understand clearly.  Why is a hard landing at front punchings percieved as
better than a softer one, while at checking it is opposite ?

To be honnest, I have tried harder front punchings and softer ones on the
same piano (Steinway A) and I keep swinging from one to the other : I find
that the sound with harder ones can be a bit disturbing in the trebble area
when you play loud and fast (makes kind of tac tac tac tac tac sound that
could become ennoying), but if feels so good to have the finger know exactly
where the bottom is.  Now, the combination of hard front punch landing and
hard hammer check landing kind of spoils the good touch feel.  But I am quit
e sure that with other hammers, other tone balance, the picture can get
other colours.

Just my (unauthorized) thoughts, hoping they are not impertinent.

Stéphane Collin.