Tuning "It" (OT)

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:03:02 -0400

Hi Janneetah,

> I've always marveled that males

<snip>

> He would also learn to appreciate what life in the Man's World is
> like for the ladies.

Yes, but many men are real gentlemen (emphasis on the "gentle").  I think a
number of them spoke up on this issue already.  It's not the 95% of the male
population who won't swing tuning hammers at us that we have to fear.  It's
the other 5%.  It's because of that 5% that we have web pages like this
one...

http://www.rememberingourdead.org/#

Perhaps the real bravery is in soberly facing one's own inner beast.  Sadly,
the people who most need to look through this web page will very likely not
do so.

Those with the stomach to read through this site should understand that the
transgender community is very, very tiny, and so this represents a
shockingly significant percentage of the total population.  The chances of a
transgendered person being brutally murdered (e.g. from blows to the head
with a tuning hammer) are substantially higher than, say, dying from a heart
attack or cancer.  The reader should also be forgiving of the number of
these victims who were prostitutes.  Unfortunately that was about the only
"career" left open to many of them.  They could either sell their bodies or
starve on the streets.  Some choice, in our "kinder, gentler" society that
will protect these people from neither the employment discrimination that
puts them on the streets, nor the violence that puts them into the grave.

(Yes, Rob, this is what your cute little story meant to me.)

Peace, I hope,
Sarah

PS I knew some of these people when they were still alive, at least in the
same way that I know all of you.  It would be an insult to their memory if I
did not say something about this most unfortunate thread.