best way to get plastic keytops off?

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:04:48 EDT

Greetings,

           I put Michael Savage or Glenn Beck on the radio, and pour a
Sasparilla.  Then, I take about a 12" x 12" or so,  rag which is made out of an old
t-shirt or bed sheet, wet it, wring it out, double it in half and place over
the key top. Then apply a hot iron for about 10 to 20 seconds (it'll steam).
Then, I take a putty knife and lift under the plastic until I can push it along
under the plastic, going from the back of the key to the front. It should
just glide off. I re-wet the rag every 10 keys or so, as it dries out as you go.
If the plastic won't come off, sometimes you need to keep the iron on alittle
longer to soften the plastic because some keytops are thicker.

            An iron that you don't use for clothes anymore is best. I have a
"dedicated" iron for this and craft purposes. After the keys cool, I take a
piece of sandpaper, tape it to the workbench or any flat surface will do, and
lightly sand any remaining glue off the key.

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA

Rodger's way sounds similar too....