back check, a magical mystery tour.

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:50:20 +0200

Hello All,

the energy of the hammer returned to the backcheck and the energy of the =
key to the keyframe become synchronous with the said 2 milimeters. If =
this two blows are synchronized, there is a higher pulse wave running =
through the instrument giving more additional energy to the string than =
when this two blows are time offset (and may cause phase losses when =
reaching the string).

As a second effect of this two blow synchronization at the 2 milimeters =
s that the player gets the impression when he reach the key bottom (what =
produces a reaction force on his finger) and the blow of the hammer =
backcheck (what produces also a reaction force on his finger) that he =
touches the string with his fingertips what gives him more inspiration =
while playing.

kind regards,

Bernhard Stopper

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: antares=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 9:36 PM
  Subject: back check, a magical mystery tour.

  Hello List, Avery, Stephane and Richard,

  I have written about this mystery issue before a long time ago. I =
personally have no explanation for it.
  I just learned this from a very gifted Japanese teacher. he introduced =
me to "the one and only right position" of a back check versus hammer =
tail.
  According to him (Tsuji-san), there should be a space of 2 mm after =
drop between hammer tail and back check.
  Indeed that is true, and it is a mighty weapon.
  Throughout the years, there have been many miracles described on this =
list to improve tone and action.
  If we delve into all what has been said, we must come to the =
conclusion that, to achieve the very best in regard to the way an action =
performs and to get the ultimate outcome...the tone, our profession is =
extremely complex.
  The mystery of the back check has not been solved yet. I have as of =
yet not heard an explanation that totally convinces me. Nor was =
Tsuji-san able to explain it to me.

  A very powerful regulation is one thing, to make a fantastic tone =
another.
  Among the weapons we are able to employ are :=20
  1. Our experience, talent, knowledge and understanding first of all
  2. The use of high quality materials like : the best felt and the best =
front punching (indeed heavily underestimated)
  3. A thorough understanding of the use of anti-friction material, and =
what it really means
  4. The ability to make a superb concert tuning
  5. The ability to bring a voicing to a high standard.

  As described above, the back check height belongs to this list. It is =
a very handy help in the voicing process.
  We start this process with the usual list, like anti-friction =
treatment, regulation, tuning and voicing, but we can improve the final =
outcome with the help of this back check phenomenon.
  To give you a clear example :
  A long time ago I had to prepare a number of instruments for customers =
in the showroom of Yamaha in the Netherlands.
  After a few rounds, one C5 grand was their favorite, but they =
explained to me that still something was missing.... it was just not =
powerful enough.
  My piano instinct told me to do the one and last thing : I told them =
to have another cup of coffee (yes Huber Liverman!) and I also told them =
that I knew exactly what they meant.
  This was partly true, but also bluff on my side, but under the =
circumstances, my professional life was on the block.
  I got out my Japanese tool to change the height of the back checks and =
I started twisting and turning the back checks to the desired height.
  On the way I broke one of the back checks but was so extremely lucky =
to be able to replace it immediately and without their seeing any of it =
(they were busy slurping their adrenalin).

  After 10 minutes, I wiped the sweat from my brows and joined them for =
my round of the brown stuff, and I told them that I thought I had =
successfully solved their complaint.

  They went back and played the C5, and bought it immediately!!

  Thanks to the generous lesson of Tsuji-san.

  Andr=E9 Oorebeek