Mason & Hamlin "A" Scale....

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:10:37 -0700

Carl asked: "I am rebuilding a Mason & Hamlin "A" (#29187 made in 1920) =
and I'm hoping
that someone has a treble scale for it. The plate has AX6 on it. A =
previous
rebuilder had tossed an odd mix of sizes on it."
                           =20
Carl,
Sheesh! Take the measurements of the "lay-out" and calculate the Correct =
scale for that individual piano. AND, while I'm at it: The calculation =
of the Wound Strings is far more important than the treble. Also, don't =
fall into the trap of having the String Maker do your scale!!!! (hence, =
the major problem with "A Guide To Re-Stringing"! Way too many =
assumptions, IMO! Let's get our thinking caps on, in this regard. =
Thanks! (Arrrgh! I need coffee! It's too damned early in the AM for this =
much reparte'!)<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police