OT Tuning "It"

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:59:37 -0400

Hi Sarah,

You didn't understand what I wrote correctly, however, I don't want to
pollute the list with too much OT stuff so I will respond once and any
further responses to me I'll respond off the list.

What I was saying was: what someone may believe and say to be right and
wrong does not inherently hold the title of a judgement. For instance,
in the case where someone who believes the Bible reads in it that lying
is wrong, they may look at their friend and see them lying and
understand that it is wrong. Although it usually does result in it, it
does not mean they have automatically become a judge. The judge-less
alternative in this case is the person who is a messenger of a
judgement from whom they believe to be the Judge.

I'm sorry if this wasn't (or isn't!) clear.

I am happy to respond to your other points.

I think what you mean to say is Old Testament (specifically mosaic)
"law" is obsolete, not that the OT itself is obsolete. This is a
complicated subject, though it is important to say that those OT laws
which no longer apply still clearly define the heart of God's
expectation from his people - which is 100% relevant to the NT.

For instance, you can say it is not the law anymore to build protection
around the roof of your house so no one falls off (Duet. 25:8), however
the heart of the passage still applies in NT thinking (love your
neighbour). What is the heart of the law in verse 5? What I'm bringing
up here is not really intended to be an authoritative Biblical
statement about the issue, rather a method of looking at the OT and an
important reflective question.

In addition, it is also important to say that although the NT doesn't
mention transsexuality specifically does not mean it doesn't have laws
that apply to it.

For instance, regarding abortion. The Bible doesn't speak of abortion,
but if someone believes that the unborn is a human they can only then
conclude the Bible would condemn it - not that it condemns abortion,
but rather the ending of a human life. ** Now I'm not trying to bring
up a controversial issue here, but rather use it as an example of the
point. ** So, as an important and reflective question, does the Bible
say anything about human behaviour that would apply to transsexual
behaviour?

If you are interested, I am able to contact various conservative
Biblical scholars and see if they can give (or point to) a good
discussion on the matter. I'll have to get back to you about that.

-- John