ON topic -- Your professional conduct and "tuning 'it'"

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:33:53 -0400

> Fer cryin out loud . . . . bible . . . scripture . . . Am I on the wrong
> list . . .??
> People . . .yes it is a free country, but PLEASE take your philosophy to
> your own private place . .

Sorry, Jim, but I know too many people who have died from this sort of
nonsense.  It's serious, and it's germane.  I've removed the "OT" from the
subject line, because I think this discussion is very much ON topic.  Please
take note that I appreciate and gratefully acknowledge the comments from
those people who have spoken up in support of Rob's client.  This email is
NOT directed to them.  It's directed to those who feel this is not a serious
issue and to those who are waving the finger of self-righteous
pseudomorality at her and those like her.

Rob thinks this is an amusing story and apparently that it would be OK to
strike a transsexual with a tuning hammer.  Dean's only observation is that
it is indeed a bit much to expect Rob to treat his client like a woman, when
in fact "it" (Rob's term) is a man.  And we must strive to extend the utmost
courtesy to this man?  (Start by acknowledging that she is a woman.)  Now
John has said we shouldn't judge the transsexual for the (heavily implied)
immoral choices (he) has made, yet John doesn't speak of the horrific intent
of the man with the tuning hammer.

There is something very, very wrong here, and if *everyone* on this list
can't come to realize that, then there's still a big problem.  It's a big
problem that could, some day, result in another assualt/rape and/or murder.
All you people are going into other people's homes.  You had all better
damned well get it straight how to treat the customer.  It most certainly
shouldn't be with insults and violence.  Sure, have your personal beliefs,
whatever they may be.  Revel in them.  But when you enter the client's home,
leave your judgment, your bias, your puritanical ideology, your
insecurities, and any violent urges behind.  If you care more about your
client's personal life than about the piano you are hired to service, then
please do everyone a favor, and find another profession!

I'll get right to the point:

Transgender Customer Relations 101 for the Religion Impaired:

(1) It isn't in the Bible.  Period.  Look, but you won't find.

(2) Deut 22:5, the only passage that even appears superficially to apply to
transsexualism, says that a man shouldn't wear a woman's clothing or vice
versa.  (Note that this was not a punishable offense, as compared to lots of
other stuff, punishable by various dreadful forms of torture/execution.)
Let's think about this one:  Male to female transsexuals are part male and
part female, biologically speaking.  The female part is on the inside --
their brains.  (Please don't argue this with me.  I'm a neurobiologist, and
I know a thing or two about this issue.)  So what are they, male or female?
Which clothing should they wear, as though this were really so damned
important an issue?  Well, the medical, psychological, and scientific
communities all feel that the most important determinant of our gender is
what's in our heads, which should come as little surprise to those of us who
don't think with our crotches.  In other words, Rob's client is female in
the ways that matter most.  Given this, Deut 22:5 says that the
male-to-female transsexual shouldn't wear male clothing (Duh!), and
therefore Rob's client was appropriately attired.  Of course if her female
attire didn't have four tassels or was made of a cotton/polyester blend,
that *would* be a sin!

(3) John, there are no passages relating to transsexualism in the same way
that passages on murder are interpreted by many to apply to issues like
abortion.  Whether you read the scripture to understand the spirit of what
it says, or whether you read it fundamentalist-style, looking for quotes to
be taken out of context to be used against people, there's still nothing.
Read what was actually said about eunuchs, John.  The term and the issue
both existed back then.  Read.  Enlighten yourself.  Any version of the
Bible -- doesn't matter.

(4) Transgendered people were once respected members of society, but the
puritanical movement changed that.  Two millenia ago, long before the blight
of the puritan movement, transgendered people (f.k.a. "eunuchs") were high
officials, clerics, and confidants of kings.  Jesus didn't really have much
to say about them, one way or the other, even when he was directly
questioned about them, so this was hardly an oversight in the Bible.  I
suspect it was really a pretty boring issue in that day, as it really should
be in modern times.

John, go ahead and look for scripture that says transsexualism (or being a
"eunuch") is wrong.  If you find it, please post it here.  Otherwise, let's
all just assume it's not there, 'cuz it isn't.  If it's really important to
you, you can search other religious texts, but I don't think you'll find it
there either.  Also go to your conservative clerics for guidance/ammunition.
However, understand that even *Pat Robertson*, the most conservative cleric
I know, the voice of the religious right, has declared on national
television that there is nothing wrong with transsexualism, in just so many
words -- that there is nothing wrong with transitioning, that there is
nothing wrong with having reassignment surgery, etc., etc.  He has never
reversed this position, so far as I am aware.  I think that must have been
his unavoidable conclusion, after the frustrating experience of scouring the
Bible for scripture to condemn the transgender community.

Finally, John, Dean, et al., if you're going to use *Christianity against
someone, at least read the "user's manual" first.  I wouldn't think it a
good idea for someone to use a gun without knowing something about it.  The
same goes for *Christianity.  Both are dangerous weapons in the wrong hands.

Again, I apologize to the list for the argumentative nature of this post,
but I take issue that this is somehow merely a "philosophical" issue.  I
will boldly assert that it is far more important to discuss on this list
than any piano, even a Fazoli.  It has to do with your professional conduct
and the danger you could present to your clientele.  Please understand that
there's real, human blood spilled over this issue on a weekly basis.  I
know, because I've known some of the fallen people, and I've personally
compiled the reports on their murders and the murders of (and other hate
crimes against) countless others -- people with friends, with family, with
cats, dogs, and hamsters.  People with deep philosophical issues.  People
who once told funny jokes and gave people reassuring hugs.  People who
worked hard to improve their communities.  Musicians, engineers, doctors,
scientists.  People who mowed their lawns and paid their taxes.  People who
worried about how to put food on the table and keep a roof over their head.
People who wondered when they would be next.  People who would daily ask God
why they were being punished so mercilessly by all you good *Christian folk
(or at least the 5% of you).  People who are dearly missed by those they
left behind.

Four decades and counting,
Sarah

*By "Christianity," I'm really referring to "parachristianity,"
characterized by imaginary scripture and "literal," out of context
interpretations.  I hope the true Christians understand my intent and do not
take offense.

PS Allen, thanks for the thoughtful posting.  Only one correction:  GLBT
people *do* reproduce, albeit not as much as the straight population.  I
have children myself.  But I agree with your main point.  Thanks.