new Bechsteins

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:53:02 EDT

In a message dated 8/18/2004 12:39:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
   Thanks Ric
   This is insightful & is wat I was looking  for. Makes sense.
   Cheers
   Dale

Hi  Dale

Actually... I do have an opinion... and I think its probably  pretty
close to at least a signifcant chucnk of the truth of the  matter.

Bechsteins do not utilize the duplex segements as many  instruments do to
help in the overall sound picture. Indeed the front  segment is so short
as to be essentially non-existant in this  regard.  To compensate for the
lack of high end that especially the  front duplex yeilds, they need a
harder hammer. I personally find that the  exact voicing level that
yeilds a <<pleasant>> Bechstein sound  is really really narrow.  It takes
nothing to get the hammers too  soft... and nothing sounds deader in my
book then a soft voiced Bechstein.  So voicing down needs to be done
carefully, and needs maintaining if the  piano is used a lot.

Other reasons for brilliant voicing may get into  scale design /
soundboards issues... but I dont have enough Bechstein  specifics on any
of those to comment.  As far as the general european  tone quality.....
... hmmm you certainly find folks here that like em  bright.

Cheers
RicB