new Bechsteins

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:22:46 +0200

On 18-aug-04, at 18:51, Richard Brekne wrote:

> So Dale... :).... this was actually an interesting question you
> brought up out of the blue.... I was wondering what brought it on ?
> You got a Bechstein project going ??  Curioius
>
> btw... I read Andre's post with interest too... seemed on the surface
> of it to move in the opposite direction as my own, tho I believe the
> reasons move into the design / scale arena and do not really conflict
> with my own musings.  And Andrč is right... as was Issac...in that a
> brightly voiced Bechstein is really bright and stays rather clear ...
> tho crashy... to the point of getting ugly me thinks.  That brightness
> must come from somewhere, and certainly Bechstein shows you dont need
> the front duplex to get there... Might be nice to hear some musings
> from the rebuilders / designers that frequent our midsts here as to
> why this is the case.
>
> Cheers
> RicB

Hey, and then there is something else we should take into da
consideration..... (how considerate...)

The new Bechstein UPrights are now made in the Samick factory (I think
in Seoul).
I know that Bechstein uses Wurzen felt hammers, but I also know that
Samick MAKES their own hammers with Wurzen felt.
I was there myself to advice them on how to regulate and voice a Samick
grand piano and I have seen how they voice.
This was among others in the factory in Jakarta. I saw these guys bent
over a clamp with a bunch of hammers doing the voicing with 1 needle
almost as thick as thick as a nitting needle!
All Samicks sound(ed) harsh and like the techs  did not know what to do
really. The Wurzen covered hammers they make themselves look almost the
same way : they are kind of raw, not sophisticated.
It might very well be possible that these new Bechstein pianos get the
same treatment. In the past, they did not used to be so harsh and
bright....

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek