OT -- Your professional conduct and "tuning 'it'"

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:35:32 -0400

Dean,

Just what is it about your Christian faith that leads you to believe it is
good to insult other people?

I'm not hostile to the Christian faith, as some of my Christian friends here
can attest.  Indeed, my system of morality is patterned upon the Christian
faith.  Rather, I am hostile to those who ABUSE Christianity in order to
insult, persecute, and/or subjugate others.  I am speaking in defense of
those who you are maligning.  Your "Orthodox Christianity" badge gives you
no special rights over me or Rob's client or anyone else.  I'm not telling
you how to interpret the Bible, so much as asking you please not to use
imaginary scripture to thump insultingly at your clientele, colleagues, and
others.  If your Bible is the basis of your system of disrespect, then I
will of course challenge you on it.

BTW, I presume by your response that these passages are as absent from the
Bible as I have indicated.  Correct?  Otherwise, I would think there would
be more to your response.

And yes, you are very old-fashioned, with regard to the puritan movement.
If you were a bit "older" fashioned, you would be much more progressive.  I
had provided you the link to my web site in hope that you would read and
learn.  Obviously you just looked at my picture to see if I look like a man
in a dress, and you completely missed all the prominently linked educational
stuff, including newsletters, speeches, and other yawners.  I think that
says a lot.  Many (very attractive) transsexuals do not put their pictures
on their web sites for that reason, and I'm beginning to think that would be
a good idea.

Try to understand this, Dean, and all of you:  It doesn't matter how I look.
It doesn't matter if I'm as large and hairy as an 800 lb gorilla, as
sex-less as a Star Trek alien character of some sort, or even as amorphous
as a blob of jello.  "Stop judging by mere appearances." (John 7:24)  If I
say I'm female, because everything about me tells me I'm female, then who
are you to presume to tell me otherwise?  (This is very much a Customer
Relations 101 point.  Do you understand this?)  I'm not a "he/she," as you
put it.  I'm a "she."  That's how I live my life, and that's what I am.
Rob's client, likewise, is a "she."  You can disagree, of course, but (and
here's the main point) it is RUDE beyond description for you to tell me I'm
male or male/female, especially when I've sacrificed everything to get where
I am.  It is also RUDE of you to tell others that I'm male or male/female.
The person who ultimately knows the most about whether I'm male or female is
I, not YOU.  The same is true, by extension, with regard to Rob's client.

And yes, although I appear to be Caucasian, if I were to insist that I'm
African American (correctly or incorrectly), it would be RUDE of you to
declare otherwise, unless it were some sort of legal issue or something.  If
it's a matter of self identity, what should it matter to you?  When you go
to a customer's home, and that customer presents as woman who you suspect
has a male background (which applies to a number of genetic women, by the
way, so be veeeery, veeeery careful!), DO NOT call her "sir."  That would be
RUDE.  Call her "ma'am," or don't call her anything at all.  Save your
shallow, poorly informed opinions for when you return to your OWN home.
Understand?  Furthermore, don't tell others, "he/she says he/she is female,
but I regard him/her as a he/she."  That is equally disrespectful to the
person.  You shouldn't say behind someone's back what you wouldn't/shouldn't
say to their face.  Keep your negative opinions about other people where
they belong -- in your head.

Dean, there's soooo much in the Bible about speaking hurtful and damaging
things about people that I'm surprised you've never come across any of it.
For your reading pleasure, I've pulled up several verses (a small fraction
of the total volume), in no particular order, some from the Old Testament,
and some from the New.  I've not studied them carefully, so a couple of them
may be out of context.  But I gather from the proliferation of these verses
that there must be something wrong, per the Bible, with insulting people in
front of others and/or behind their backs (e.g. calling a woman a man).

~~ All you non-Bible-thumpers, please ignore, and consider this the end of
my message ~~

Leviticus 19
16 " 'Do not go about spreading slander among your people.
" 'Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor's life. I am the LORD .

Psalm 15

1 LORD , who may dwell in your sanctuary?
Who may live on your holy hill?

2 He whose walk is blameless
and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart
3 and has no slander on his tongue,
who does his neighbor no wrong
and casts no slur on his fellowman,

Psalm 10
7 His mouth is full of curses and lies and threats;
trouble and evil are under his tongue.

Psalm 41
5 My enemies say of me in malice,
"When will he die and his name perish?"
6 Whenever one comes to see me,
he speaks falsely, while his heart gathers slander;
then he goes out and spreads it abroad.

7 All my enemies whisper together against me;
they imagine the worst for me, saying,
8 "A vile disease has beset him;
he will never get up from the place where he lies."
9 Even my close friend, whom I trusted,
he who shared my bread,
has lifted up his heel against me.

Psalm 52
2 Your tongue plots destruction;
it is like a sharpened razor,
you who practice deceit.
3 You love evil rather than good,
falsehood rather than speaking the truth.
Selah
4 You love every harmful word,
O you deceitful tongue!

Psalm 59
12 For the sins of their mouths,
for the words of their lips,
let them be caught in their pride.
For the curses and lies they utter,

Psalm 64
2 Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked,
from that noisy crowd of evildoers.

3 They sharpen their tongues like swords
and aim their words like deadly arrows.
4 They shoot from ambush at the innocent man;
they shoot at him suddenly, without fear.

5 They encourage each other in evil plans,
they talk about hiding their snares;
they say, "Who will see them [1] ?"

Psalm 69
12 Those who sit at the gate mock me,
and I am the song of the drunkards.

Psalm 102
8 All day long my enemies taunt me;
those who rail against me use my name as a curse.

Psalm 140
3 They make their tongues as sharp as a serpent's;
the poison of vipers is on their lips.

James 4

11Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his
brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge
the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.

Romans 2

1You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for
at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because
you who pass judgment do the same things.

Isaiah 29
20 The ruthless will vanish,
the mockers will disappear,
and all who have an eye for evil will be cut down-

Interesting...  You have a bit of reading to do, my friend.

Fourty years, and *still* no answer,
Sarah

PS Dean, "full disclosure" on your part was unneccessary and unwelcome.  I
think everyone here is bright enough to deduce from the context of my posts
that I am a transsexual woman.  Perhaps I had my reasons for not stating it
at face value.  Perhaps my reason was that it has nothing to do with my
argument.  It is WRONG to speak insultingly about Rob's client, irrespective
of whether another transsexual is in the room.  Does that make sense?