back check, a magical mystery tour.

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:50:11 -0400

Ric wrote:
>As far as how often checks need adjusting.  Hmm... you'd be suprised
>how varied back check height is off the factory line... even in
>pianos like Yamaha where <<precision machines>> are specially made
>to do the job.  Then there is the hammer change job done by the tech
>down the street...... grin..  In short...  it happens often enough
>that they need addressing.

What I meant actually was:  when some change is determined
advantageous how often do they have to be raised vs lowered. In other
words, is it mostly a case of lowering? or raising? checks to achieve
the 2mm space?

The chalk thing would, of course, need a little cleverness, so the
hammer is caught somehow before it reaches the check position.
Otherwise, you couldn't interpret the presence of chalk transfer as
having occurred before the impact. Maybe not feasible, but, even if
it affected the impact (e.g. remove the string and have the hammer
fly upward and over), the experiment would achieve the desired
result, since the proposal is to see if the hammer tail catches the
check *before impact, under certain circumstances and configurations.
High speed imaging would work for sure, but may not be necessary to
answer the question.

For curiosity, is the dud problem more often associated with actions
that have softer whippen cushions?

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett