back check, a magical mystery tour.

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:18:19 +0200

Hi Richard,

Good checking is when the hammer tail will rub the backchecks on a
large part of the tail with a nice scratchy noise if the hammer is in
drop and pushed down, and IS
NOT rubbing the backchecks when rising and being restricted (shank
flexed
slightly) with a finger.

I test also the angle, with a tool, and the relative move between tail
and backchecks (visually) to verify the angle correctness.

The noise of the checking is a good indication for sure.

I know no other method to avoid the undue rubbing of the tail before
the stroke.

Which other method do you envisage ?

Isaac

Which one would that be...?  I know of at least three.  And all three
of
them could be improved upon and quite probably IMHO the chalk idea
could
be just one such improvement... In any case it makes for a good out of
the piano test without having to get all kinds of fancy equipment to
measure things.  Worth a try before being simply dismissed without
further ado if you ask me.