Big Band Piano temperment (looong)

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:47:31 -0500

Gordon, the consensus was not unanimous. the vote came in....Coleman =
11,Broadwoods best,and Moore&co. I have Coleman 11 in Tune Lab...I chose =
it. I was hoping for more feedback, but to no avail. The venue was a =
reunion where there were 8 bands to rehearse and play over a 3 day =
weekend. I went on the Thursday day to 'supervise&set up the "rental =
piano". Each band had at least 2 rehersals in the ballroom, (2 more in =
another room,)then there were 4 shows a night on Friday and Saturday =
night that were digitaly (sp) recorded live. The piano players are =
regional/national pros. Rehersal time was about 6 (playing time hours) a =
day, plus 4 shows a night, 45 mins tuning time between the last =
rehearsal and the 1st show the way it works out. THEN the late nite =
'jazzers' come in and improvise 'till they drop. It makes my 6:30 am =
tuning a bit early,as the first band is scheduled for 8am. I know all of =
these people, they tend to be early,and want to ask questions..<grin & =
grim> :-0    At any rate with the usage, temperment became a moot point =
as ET Vs Coleman, was not a consideration...Unisons were the best one =
could hope for. 6 tunings, 3 days, band, reunion=3D a ton of fun and =
fellowship and hotel epenses paid.
If you care, go to auburnknights.org, (site somewhat outdated,but you =
can get into our history...for this event, and history. I am a bass =
trombonist, and have 'some respect' as a old player who has played on =
the band  either as a member,'substitute, or reunion player that has =
performed with all of the bands in the 20'th century...30's....90's.

Sorry ,I do not as of yet know the answer to your quesion.I did need to =
reply...not as terce as possible...but... Thanks for your reply!

Cheers!

Hubert

  Hubert, I was watching for some action on this topic and did not see =
anything come up on it.  If you did get
  some responces, would you mind sharing them with us?.  Many thanks.
  Gordon Holley
  Goshen, IN
    ----- Original Message -----=20