Info On Behning and Sons

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:39:54 -0400

>Anyone know anything about Behning and Sons out of New York? I got
>called into do a rebuild estimate and I was surprised by what I
>thought was going to be a potential junk yard sentencing. It's a
>5'3" grand with a  Wessel,Nickel &Gross action serial # 52336.
>Nothing in Pierce. I would appreciate any knowledge. Thanks.

What do you want to know about Behning? The company goes way back to
1861. Behning originated from germany, having worked for Helmholtz,
from whom he learned about pianos. There's a stack of historical
information in Spillane (1890), but not, of course, covering the
period of your piano if it's 20th c.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett