back check, a magical mystery tour. -hammer string contact

Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:41:53 +0100

Isaac OLEG wrote:

>Richard.....
>

>I bet that, under certain optimum parameters like backchecks height,
>the synchronism can be kept by the pianist for a larger dynamic zone,
>because I am in fact persuaded that the pianists knows how to deal
>with the flexing and compression of the system in regard of this
>effect, so to keep it in more playing modes, or extend it presence
>around the limits.

Well.. of course anything is possible I suppose, and indeed my own
musings have been going along the lines that this 2mm thingy may turn
out to be an optimal setting from the standpoint of back checking
efficiency. Coupled with Stephens idea that perhaps this also
approximates the position where said efficient checking stays clear of
the problem of interfering with the hammers upward travel under all
dynamic conditions... then maybe all this is rather two different ways
of saying more or less the same thing.  But I am uncomfortable with the
use of the word synchonism in this context (without it being closer
defined for this application). To begin with we are talking about three
different impact moments in this discussion, and clearly at the very
best only two of them could possibly happen at the same exact time.

That said... I have to repeat that we are dealing with very small
moments of time so perhaps this is less important.  Yet if there is not
such a degree of importance attached to such small time periods.. then
how can the added minuscule nano time period that would result from say
a 1 mm setting as opposed to 2mm have on the sound of the piano ???

As I said earlier.. the discussion seems to be loosing its focus and it
seems we are mixing several different decks and using one to justify
playing a card in another.

We were first looking for a explanation that this 2 mm setting could
affect piano sound as it does... apparently adding to both power and
sustain.  The synchronization line of thought first and formost builds
upon the idea that impact noises can be utilized to expedite such an
affect. Further then when these impacts work in concert as  it were this
affect is compounded. All that I find acceptable.  But then it is
postulated that setting the back check at 2mm causes this exact
compounding of impacts for a very wide dynamic area of play.  This is
problematic at best because of the extremly small moments of time
between the impacts and the significance of the changes in those any
minor adjustment in the back check height could possibly cause, and
because of the degree (undefined/unknown)  of synchonicity in the first
place.

Like I said.. its a sexy explanation to be sure... but it is still
shooting in the dark with rubber bullets. :)

Stephens take on the other hand takes a totally different angle on the
whole thing. He simply raises the possiblity that if the 2 mm adjustment
has this affect, then quite possibly it is simply because said position
alleviates an existing imediment to the forementioned power and sustain
to begin with.  So, he suggests to go about the buisness of ascertaining
whether or not this could be the case, and provides a <<kitchen
physics>> experimental method of taking a quick look at the problem,
which I doubt seriously was meant to suffice as a controlled laboratory
experiment would. But then he knows most of us dont have laboratories at
our disposal :)

>How ? delaying the acceleration of the key, modifying his touch,
>lightening the system brake with a judicious use of the pedal, using
>the flexibility of the system to stay within that effect even if he
>play more or less strong...

I really dont think pianists operate this way at all... not even
intuitively.  When the pianist uses the sustain pedal, it is because he
/ she wants some degree of klang...extra sustain.... I dont think they
conciously or otherwise utilize the pedal to lessen the internal
frictions of a particular key just so he / she can flex the system for
maximum output for a given dynamic touch.  In fact... I would question
whether or not this actually happens at all in the first place... let
alone be some subconcious instinctive ability pianists have... but
again... grin... it does sound very sexy.

>If a certain action configuration (geometry and regulation) allow for
>this larger zone, I suggest we can say the action is very expressive ,
>and I suggest that part of the backchecks height regulation is an
>important parameter to that.

Yes yes.... but come on now... we are on about the adjustment of the
backcheck height.. and talking about minut differences in adjustment
with relation to the synchonicites you cite which are supposedly then
responsible for a very large change in the tonal characterisitcs of the
piano as a whole.  This is too big a pill for me to swallow.... at least
without more the pure conjecture as a basis for the claim.  That said...
Stephens take should also be put to the proverbial test.  As should any
other proposed explanation.

>When one change heads on pre 84 (or is it before )Hamburg Steinways,
>the height of the backchecks have to be lowered if one wants the best
>dynamics (it can be regulated without it but I still prefer the 2mm
>rule)

Well... for whatever reasons... we are all in aggreement that the 2mm
rule seems to have an obvious tonal benifit. Thats for sure.  So I
suppose, tho it is indeed fun and stimulating (for me at any rate) to
bounce ideas back and forth... in the end it is the result that is
important.

>The fact that the tone strengthen is just the sign of a better
>efficiency to me.

I can buy this formulation as well.  But again... whether its a matter
of synchonous  impacts working in concert to add energy, or simply
because the hammer is otherwise being slowed in some hithertoo
unaccounted for fashion ... or for that matter something entirely
different... is still an open book IMHO.

>Cheers
>
>Isaac OLEG

Back at ya :)

RicB