back check, a magical mystery tour. -hammer string contact

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:15:38 +0200

Richard ,

>excerpt from the five lectures :
>
>"It turns out that at a certain dynamic level, about mezzo forte, the
>key reaches its bottom position at the same moment as the hammer
>strikes the string, while at other dynamic levels this synchrony is
>dissolved"
>
>You write :

>This is all more in less in line with what Ed pointed out to begin
with,
>and questionings by several of us. Tho indeed the text quoted states
>that instead of the key either bottoming out at the same time or
before
>hammer string contact, there is a crossover point.  But the lack of
any
>real synchronization for all levels of play being the main thrust of
the
>questionings remain the main issue in relation to Bernhard post.  So
we
>are left still wondering why exactly the sound of the piano does
indeed
>open up when the back check is regulated to this optimum position as
far
as I can see.

I bet that, under certain optimum parameters like backchecks height,
the synchronism can be kept by the pianist for a larger dynamic zone,
because I am in fact persuaded that the pianists knows how to deal
with the flexing and compression of the system in regard of this
effect, so to keep it in more playing modes, or extend it presence
around the limits.
How ? delaying the acceleration of the key, modifying his touch,
lightening the system brake with a judicious use of the pedal, using
the flexibility of the system to stay within that effect even if he
play more or less strong...

If a certain action configuration (geometry and regulation) allow for
this larger zone, I suggest we can say the action is very expressive ,
and I suggest that part of the backchecks height regulation is an
important parameter to that.

When one change heads on pre 84 (or is it before )Hamburg Steinways,
the height of the backchecks have to be lowered if one wants the best
dynamics (it can be regulated without it but I still prefer the 2mm
rule)

The fact that the tone strengthen is just the sign of a better
efficiency to me.

Cheers

Isaac OLEG