Loaning pianos to worthy students

DBee840388@aol.com DBee840388@aol.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:41:24 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2004 1:04:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:
Jim Kinnear said: "I'll be donating a piano to some needy student this fall .
. . small, =
but it's something . . .  anybody else do similar stuff . . . any ideas =
or suggestions to watch out for ??"

Jim,
Not to inflate my worth, as a tech/person, but I do this as often as the need
arises. It has so many rewards, I can't count them. Let's face it Musicians,
(and most piano techs, as well), are not big in the money department. A
helping hand to any needy prospective musician is the way to go, IMO.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I
To Jim and Joe - We started a piano donation program in the Chicago Chapter
about....a year and a half ago (time flies!).  It is called A Gift of Pianos
and we seek out individuals and organizations who have piano needs, but limited
resources to obtain and maintain such instruments.

While we don't rebuild pianos in this program, we do completely recondition
them and then pass them on accordingly.  One of the tenets of this plan is to
help Associates, or RPTs for that matter, to gain experience with the
opportunity to work on real life pianos under the eye of more experienced technicians.
In this regard, we would specifically like to help those Associates who have a
mind to, to upgrade to RPT status. (This is only one of a good many efforts
the Chicago Chapter has entered into over the years to open to door to
Associates. Some take advantage of these efforts and, sadly, some do not.)

At the same time, we see this kind of a program as a promotion for the
Chicago Chapter and the  PTG where people across our Chicagoland area can learn of
the programs merits.

At present, we've given away three pianos and have eight more in the pipeline
to be donated sometime soon.

Don Bee, RPT
Chicago Chapter