Loaning pianos to worthy students

Jim Kinnear jim@pianoguy.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:39:41 -0400

Don

Thanks so much for this idea . .  while we don't have a Chapter very =
active in this area, we do have a pretty vibrant arts scene, with many =
supporters.  I'll take this idea to them and see what the interest is . =
.=20
Jim

Jim Kinnear
www.kinnearpiano.com
Collingwood, ON, Canada

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress
=20
-- Joseph Joubert (1754-1824) French Philosopher

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: DBee840388@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 10:41 AM
  Subject: Re: Loaning pianos to worthy students

  In a message dated 8/19/2004 1:04:18 AM Central Daylight Time, =
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:
    Jim Kinnear said: "I'll be donating a piano to some needy student =
this fall . . . small, =3D
    but it's something . . .  anybody else do similar stuff . . . any =
ideas =3D
    or suggestions to watch out for ??"

    Jim,
    Not to inflate my worth, as a tech/person, but I do this as often as =
the need arises. It has so many rewards, I can't count them. Let's face =
it Musicians, (and most piano techs, as well), are not big in the money =
department. A helping hand to any needy prospective musician is the way =
to go, IMO.
    Best Regards,
    Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
    Captain, Tool Police
    Squares R I
  To Jim and Joe - We started a piano donation program in the Chicago =
Chapter about....a year and a half ago (time flies!).  It is called A =
Gift of Pianos and we seek out individuals and organizations who have =
piano needs, but limited resources to obtain and maintain such =
instruments.=20

  While we don't rebuild pianos in this program, we do completely =
recondition them and then pass them on accordingly.  One of the tenets =
of this plan is to help Associates, or RPTs for that matter, to gain =
experience with the opportunity to work on real life pianos under the =
eye of more experienced technicians. In this regard, we would =
specifically like to help those Associates who have a mind to, to =
upgrade to RPT status. (This is only one of a good many efforts the =
Chicago Chapter has entered into over the years to open to door to =
Associates. Some take advantage of these efforts and, sadly, some do =
not.)

  At the same time, we see this kind of a program as a promotion for the =
Chicago Chapter and the  PTG where people across our Chicagoland area =
can learn of the programs merits. =20

  At present, we've given away three pianos and have eight more in the =
pipeline to be donated sometime soon.

  Don Bee, RPT
  Chicago Chapter