My clients

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:22:28 EDT

The recent uproar has me thinking about the diversity of clients, and my
relationship to them, as a businessman and a person.

My clients are Baptists and Buddhists, straight and gay, atheists and
agnostics, leftists and rightists, very social and reclusively private. They are a
joy to me BECAUSE OF, not in spite of, their diversity. Many of those who some
would consider the most "off center" are, when approached with an open heart,
the most enriching to me as we share our common interest in music and the piano
from two [sometimes very] different points of view. I am sure that more than
a few of them think of me as a bit "off center" as well.

As is also apparent from this list, almost all of us have some special gift.
In some cases, the development of that gift may even be intensified in
compensation for social ostracism. Thinking only in terms of "tolerance" for those
different from us puts us in an attitude where we can not fully appreciate those
gifts, to our great loss. "Tolerance" isn't enough; true humility admits the
most joy. It's the difference between "sympathy" and "empathy", and we are the
beneficiaries.

Sarah Fox says, "This email list was the first list I have ever joined as a
rank-and-file
human being with no visible gender issues." For many months she was judged
(fairly and positively) on the content of her posts. Exactly as it should be.

With sincere best wishes,
Bob Davis