Setting pitch with a fork

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:10:54 -0600

A Sanderson electric fork!
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Cy Shuster" <741662027@theshusters.org>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:02 AM
Subject: Setting pitch with a fork

List,

I'm practicing setting pitch with a tuning fork (for the RPT exam, someday),
and I'm finding it hard to hear the beats between F2 and the fork.  I'm also
struggling to hold the fork, play the note, and turn the pin.  What works
for you?

For one thing, if I play F2 with my left hand, and hold the fork to my right
ear, it's really hard to hear beats (I know I can adjust F2 as needed for a
comfortable beat speed).  I found if I hold the fork over my left ear, so
that it's between my ear and the piano, the beats are clearer.  (Is it
because the wave interference happens in the air, not in my head?  Sarah?)

Is there a difference in the beats when the fork is in the air, vs. on the
stretcher (or the keybed; I've also tried dangling it from two fingers,
pressing on the underside of the keybed, while playing F2 with my thumb --
less than satisfactory)?  Maybe it's time to try the rubber tubing on the
end, and holding it in my teeth...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV