Setting pitch with a fork

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:02:23 -0400

List,

I'm practicing setting pitch with a tuning fork (for the RPT exam, =
someday), and I'm finding it hard to hear the beats between F2 and the =
fork.  I'm also struggling to hold the fork, play the note, and turn the =
pin.  What works for you?

For one thing, if I play F2 with my left hand, and hold the fork to my =
right ear, it's really hard to hear beats (I know I can adjust F2 as =
needed for a comfortable beat speed).  I found if I hold the fork over =
my left ear, so that it's between my ear and the piano, the beats are =
clearer.  (Is it because the wave interference happens in the air, not =
in my head?  Sarah?)

Is there a difference in the beats when the fork is in the air, vs. on =
the stretcher (or the keybed; I've also tried dangling it from two =
fingers, pressing on the underside of the keybed, while playing F2 with =
my thumb -- less than satisfactory)?  Maybe it's time to try the rubber =
tubing on the end, and holding it in my teeth...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV