Setting pitch with a fork

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:22:00 -0700

When I tuned by ear, I never used a pitch fork cause I don't live on a
farm. I made hay with a tuning fork! ;-)

I used a large APSCO fork held close to my ear and played F2. By moving
the fork closer or further away from my ear, there would be a point
where the beats are strongest (equal amplitude, as Sarah said).
Remembering the beat rate produced, I could then play A4 with F2 and
adjust for similar beating.

Tom Cole