Setting pitch with a fork

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:20:33 -0400

Cy,

I have always used a tuning fork, and I don't seem to have a big problem
holding it. Here is how I do it.

I hold the fork with my thumb and 1st  finger and strike it on my knee. With
my 3rd, 4th, 5th fingers and the palm of my hand on the end off the lever, I
move the tuning pin while striking the note with my other hand which is
free. The trick is to hold the fork with 2 fingers while moving the lever
with the other fingers and palm. It's not that hard and the sound from the
fork is pure and clear.

I recall reading an article which stated that the direct sound from a tuning
fork produces almost all fundamental and almost no harmonics, but if the
same fork pressed against something will produce more harmonics. Of course
the harmonics forces us to use the 2 oct. + maj. 3rd test. I find by
listening directly to the fork, the 2 oct. + maj 3rd is just a confirmation.
Does this make sense?

Jerry Cohen

NJ Chapter