Setting pitch with a fork

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:17:53 -0400

Thanks, Jerry -- that's what I thought was correct, that if the fork is =
touching a resonator like wood then its own partials are stronger.

--Cy--
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jerry Cohen=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 10:20 PM
  Subject: RE: Setting pitch with a fork

  Cy,

  I have always used a tuning fork, and I don't seem to have a big =
problem holding it. Here is how I do it.

  I hold the fork with my thumb and 1st  finger and strike it on my =
knee. With my 3rd, 4th, 5th fingers and the palm of my hand on the end =
off the lever, I move the tuning pin while striking the note with my =
other hand which is free. The trick is to hold the fork with 2 fingers =
while moving the lever with the other fingers and palm. It's not that =
hard and the sound from the fork is pure and clear.

  I recall reading an article which stated that the direct sound from a =
tuning fork produces almost all fundamental and almost no harmonics, but =
if the same fork pressed against something will produce more harmonics. =
Of course the harmonics forces us to use the 2 oct. + maj. 3rd test. I =
find by listening directly to the fork, the 2 oct. + maj 3rd is just a =
confirmation. Does this make sense?

  Jerry Cohen

  NJ Chapter =20