Setting pitch with a fork

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:33:27 -0500

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Cy Shuster
  Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 12:02 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Setting pitch with a fork

  List,

  I'm practicing setting pitch with a tuning fork (for the RPT exam,
someday), and I'm finding it hard to hear the beats between F2 and the fork.
I'm also struggling to hold the fork, play the note, and turn the pin.  What
works for you?

  For one thing, if I play F2 with my left hand, and hold the fork to my
right ear, it's really hard to hear beats (I know I can adjust F2 as needed
for a comfortable beat speed).  I found if I hold the fork over my left ear,
so that it's between my ear and the piano, the beats are clearer.  (Is it
because the wave interference happens in the air, not in my head?  Sarah?)

  Is there a difference in the beats when the fork is in the air, vs. on the
stretcher (or the keybed; I've also tried dangling it from two fingers,
pressing on the underside of the keybed, while playing F2 with my thumb --
less than satisfactory)?  Maybe it's time to try the rubber tubing on the
end, and holding it in my teeth...

  --Cy Shuster--
  Bluefield, WV

  Cy
  Hold the fork between your thumb and index finger of your left hand,
strike it on the side of your knee and rest the end of it on the key strip.
Now reach up with your third and/or fourth finger and play the F 2.  With
some practice, it becomes 2nd nature.  This allows you to play the A 4 or
tune with your right.  Mute F 2 so only one string is sounding.  When you
hear the beats, continue to hold the F 2, raise the fork from the key strip
as you play the A 4.  Compare to beat speeds.

  Paul C