setting pitch with a fork

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:13:10 EDT

Greetings,

             I take the fork in my right hand and strike it on my heel. While
it is vibrating, I place the stem of the fork underneath the piano keybed. It
resonates very well and you can hear it. Then, I strike the A and listen to
see how far off the A is. Then I strike the F below the A and listen to the
fork A along with the F. I count those beats. Then I remove the fork and play the
F and the A and count those beats.

           The fork and the A's beating should match the F and the A's
beating, If it doesn't then adjust the A.  It doesn't matter if the F is not tuned
yet, you're just using the F only as a constant at this point. You're using the
F to compare the fork A  to the piano's A, and then make the beating of the
fork and A match the beating of the F and A by adjusting the A.

Julia Gottchall.
Reading, PA