setting pitch with a fork

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:36:16 +0200

Hi ! adding a comment for Quentin and European readers.

A=440(2)  in France is named A3 , and 25 years ago we did not consider any
difference between testing the fork against F3 or F2 (US nomenclature) I did
not test with F2 since I understood where the partial beat lies because of
the "on pitch" book, mostly, no problem to give credits to the excellent
book from Rick Baldassin, even if I have more concerns actually on the
partial based only approach now..

Most probably the actual generation of techs learn more about beat
generation than us that where mostly told "too fast or too slow" . Are you ,
Quentin ?

I recall an ingenious device from Sanderson, that anybody can make its own,
these are 2 rules (of different height) made of strips of thick paper where
the spacing at the end of the key is marked with the partial series
enlighten. The 2 strips can be used one at the lower note of the interval to
be tested and the other on the highest, and the scale show immediately where
the partials are coincident. Was a very nice tool to show things to
customers and colleagues, or to look for unsuspected coincidences.

best and have a good day yourself.

Isaac