Setting pitch with a fork

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:23:29 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Fox" <sarah@graphic-fusion.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: Setting pitch with a fork

> In answer to your question (a very good one!), it doesn't matter which
> routes the two sounds take; they will still beat against each other, as
the
> waveform phasing drifts.  This is actually a perceptual phenomen that
occurs
> in the nervous system, after the sounds are detected.  So however the
sounds
> reach your ear, your still good..

Wow, so it does happen in your head...  As a sailor, I'm familiar with the
interference patterns of waves reflected from, say, a seawall, with
reinforcement and cancellation effects (very, very basic wave mechanics), so
I expected that the sounds would have to take the same route in order to
beat.  The explanation that the amplitude has to be close helps me
understand that the position of the fork can make a difference.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  More practice for me...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV