Setting pitch with a fork

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:32:32 -0700

Hi, Cy,

I am surprised that no one has suggested that you look at Wm. Braid White's
"Piano Tuning and Allied Arts".  While there are portions of it which are,
to be sure, dated (after all, it's original publication date was 1917), the
sections on tuning (Chapters 4 and 5, in particular) are still pretty much
the foundation for serious aural tuning.  Good, clear explanations.  Well
thought-out (if dated) graphs.  Solid, not fancy-pants, well-grounded
advice for just about any level of tuner.  And, by the way, instructions
for tuning from both A and C.  Using White's methods, I have done the
latter for nearly 40 years and can pretty much put the pitch wherever I
want/need to.  I am sure that these are things which you can do, too, if
you wish.  The main things are consistency of application and clarity of
purpose.

Best regards; and Good Luck!

Horace