setting pitch with a fork

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:06:56 EDT

Well, make that twice I replied to Isaac instead of the list:

In a message dated 8/19/2004 11:36:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
oleg-i@noos.fr writes:
I recall an ingenious device from Sanderson, that anybody can make its own,
these are 2 rules (of different height) made of strips of thick paper where the
spacing at the end of the key is marked with the partial series enlighten.
The 2 strips can be used one at the lower note of the interval to be tested and
the other on the highest, and the scale show immediately where the partials
are coincident.
Just last week I made such a device (in minutes, out of poster board) for my
PTG chapter tuning demonstration. I think everyone should have one until they
are facile with the partial series and coincident partials. I gave credit to
Jim Coleman, Sr., because that's who my fuzzy memory contained as the first
person I saw use it. Was Al Sanderson actually the first? It's so clever I would
like to credit the right person.

Bob Davis