setting pitch with a fork

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:26:10 +0200

You are right - Jim Coleman was the designer . most ingenious device and
easy to make one.

And indeed "anybody can make his own, not "its" own, I guess the meaning is
different (?)

Isaac

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la part
de BobDavis88@aol.com
Envoye : vendredi 20 aout 2004 09:07
A : pianotech@ptg.org
Objet : Re:setting pitch with a fork

Well, make that twice I replied to Isaac instead of the list:

In a message dated 8/19/2004 11:36:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
oleg-i@noos.fr writes:
  I recall an ingenious device from Sanderson, that anybody can make its
own, these are 2 rules (of different height) made of strips of thick paper
where the spacing at the end of the key is marked with the partial series
enlighten. The 2 strips can be used one at the lower note of the interval to
be tested and the other on the highest, and the scale show immediately where
the partials are coincident.
Just last week I made such a device (in minutes, out of poster board) for my
PTG chapter tuning demonstration. I think everyone should have one until
they are facile with the partial series and coincident partials. I gave
credit to Jim Coleman, Sr., because that's who my fuzzy memory contained as
the first person I saw use it. Was Al Sanderson actually the first? It's so
clever I would like to credit the right person.

Bob Davis